Today, many people are aware of the health benefits of Cannabidiol (CBD) oil. CBD is one of the primary compounds found in the Cannabis sativa plant and is absolutely non-psychoactive. Advanced techniques have now enabled growers to cultivate CBD rich-buds from auto-flowering cannabis seeds.
While buying CBD oil for the first time, you need to consider plenty of things. Also, it can be a bit challenging as there are several brands on the market.
Here are 7 tips on what you should look for when purchasing CBD oil for the first time:
- The Quality of the Source of CBD Oil – CBD oil is obtained from the industrial-grade hemp plant, which is a variety of Cannabis sativa species. Since hemp plant is a bioaccumulator, along with the good substances, it tends to absorb the bad substances from the air, water, and soil in which it’s cultivated. So, several contaminants including metals and chemicals among others could ultimately be present inside your CBD oil which cause severe diseases like various types of cancer. Hence it is essential that you buy CBD oil which is derived from organic hemp only.
CBD oil extracted from the highest-quality (uncontaminated and non-psychoactive) harvest of the hemp plant and subjected to proper filtration methods is clearly of excellent quality. Moreover, professional third parties test such high-quality CBD oils for the presence of pesticides and other polluting or poisonous materials. This is another assurance for you while buying safe, reliable and high-quality, CBD oil. Genuine manufacturers of CBD oil also include the lab results in the product websites which indicate that they lay emphasis on quality and customer service.
- The Method of Extraction Used – The most reliable method of extraction of CBD oil is called supercritical carbon dioxide extraction. This method uses carbon dioxide as a solvent, i.e. subjected to high pressure and extremely low temperatures, to extract as much CBD as possible without letting any contaminants in it. Once the carbon dioxide is no longer under high pressure, it simply evaporates, thus leaving no trace of it inside the CBD oil.
Generally, CBD oil manufacturers with a good reputation mention about their extraction processes on the product page or packaging.
- The Concentration of THC in the CBD Oil – While buying CBD oil, look for the one certified to have a negligible percentage of or zero Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in it. THC is an extremely psychoactive compound found in the Cannabis sativa and indica species. Consumption of THC gets you high and hence it’s used for recreational purpose.
For instance, Death Bubba, a hybrid strain of cannabis, contains an insanely high (between 25-27%) level of THC and induces an almost death-like slumber, perfect for recreational purposes.
- The Concentration of CBD in the CBD Oil – Pay attention to the concentration level of CBD in the CBD oil you’re buying so that you get what you’re paying for. The concentration level of CBD in the oil per bottle or capsule is mentioned on the packaging. Manufacturers list the CBD amounts in milligrams (mg) such as 250 mg of CBD or in percentages such as 4% CBD.
As a first-timer, take CBD oils that have a low to moderate dosage and continue with this dosage for a few weeks. Increase your dosage only if you don’t experience the desired outcome after this period. Once you get the desired effect, you’d be able to determine the optimum concentration of CBD for you.
In case the concentration of CBD is not listed on the packaging, use the following formula to calculate it while purchasing CBD oil: Total quantity of CBD (in mg) divided by the volume of the container (in ounces).
- The Cost Per Dose – When it comes to the cost of CBD oil, cheaper is definitely not always better. The reason is that the production or extraction of quality CBD oil isn’t cheap at all.
Before purchasing CBD oil, consider the cost per dose. Though the oils with higher concentrations of CBD are more expensive, they often provide a greater value in the long run. So, once you have determined your most favourable dose of CBD, go for a higher concentration in order to save some money. For example, a 500 mg bottle of CBD oil will cost less than two 250 mg bottles.
- Accountability of Manufacturers / Sellers – It’s critical that you look for CBD oils that are sold legally, with complete transparency and accountability. Before ordering CBD oil online, try to contact the manufacturer by telephone. If someone answers the phone or reverts to you promptly, then you can be assured that you’ve found a company that not only emphasizes on accountability but also is highly concerned about the quality of its products.
- Several Ways to consume CBD Oil – CBD oil is available in several forms. It is important to choose the appropriate way of consuming CBD oil as the products differ with regard to ease of use, taste, concentration levels and how soon you get the desired effect. For instance, many CBD oils come in dropper bottle form, allowing for dropping the oil directly under the tongue. This makes for an efficient method of delivery. An in-depth study reveals that the top 6 ways to take CBD oil are tinctures, concentrates, capsules, topicals, sprays, and vapes.
Nancy is a blogger who loves to write especially in the Cannabis vertical. She has written many informative blogs in other verticals too.